2009年3月22日 星期日

Anchor Steam Beer


Brewery: Anchor Brewing Company, San Francisco CA

Anchor Steam Beer, 4.9% ABV, 12 oz

Color: The beer is highly carbonated, and forms a thick, bubbly head if poured quickly (properly). The color is a solid amber/orange, akin to ice tea, much darker than an average lager.

Tasting Notes: Nose emits a pleasant string of apples, malt and hops, intertwining tightly to form a coherent, inviting yet somewhat demure impression. Body is medium to full, simultaneously smooth yet volatile and crisp. On the palate, apple is upfront in the nose, while a slightly metallic coolness accompanies the malt & biscuit flavors. There is an instant where these flavors combine to show outdoorsy roughness – a fleeting moment of retrospection – into the olden, adventurous days of the Frontier where “steam beer” was brewed (Jack London, anybody?). The beer finishes with gentle citrus notes and slight hop bitterness. The balance is truly quite astounding. The sweet and the bitter waltz each other into perfect harmony.

Comment: A legendary microbrew product, Anchor steam won the praise of my visiting aunt and uncle, whose son is living and working in Germany (Binghamton’s scarce choice in activities didn’t seem to affect them much). It is perhaps the most accessible, well-rounded yet flavor-packed beer I’ve come upon so far; its tight combination of flavors and its roundness makes it highly memorable. Again, I write these words reminiscing the past week I had, not without connotations of loneliness. My aunt is a great cook – she made me a good amount of comfort food such as dumplings, rice noodles and meatballs, all which I am not knowledgeable in cooking. My uncle (her husband) is of Sichuan descent, a hearty, somewhat fiery yet amiable man, who prefers a spoonful of hot sauce to anything he eats (and he eats quite…loud). Both of them add up to an astounding amount of noise and warmth in this spacey, cold room, which only two days after their departure, I dearly miss already. Whenever I drink an Anchor Steam again, either from bottle or tap, their days spent here are surely to arise from the recesses of my mind.

10/20/08

沒有留言: