2009年4月18日 星期六

9 months.

Nine months ago I left the center of the periphery to come to the periphery of the center. Nine months later a sunny, 19-degree afternoon seems, for the first time in my life – warm.

My impressions so far of upstate New York – Binghamton and the triple cities, to be accurate – are paradoxical.

Here, an air of great openness, of expanse and a streamlined presentation of arbor, dominates. At times mitigating, at times stark, bleak, barren; oppressive. It is immensely beautiful yet frightening: so are the factories covered in metallic rust and crumbling wooden houses. Despite this long-forgotten unfamiliarity of an American town, the torrid rain and overcast skies reminds me of home sharply. That is why I welcome them – as always. It is now spring. The air is clean as ever, subtly decorated with aromas provided by awakening flora. But for 19 degrees it is warmer than I ever imagined.

The trip back to the periphery will not be a trip back home. Where I once called home will never be and has never been the same. Home is now alien, the alien, home. Or vice versa.

I await my departure.

4/18/09

2 則留言:

匿名 提到...

your profile says the scale is tipping east for you - does this article imply that it's existentially tipping back west? :P

either way - I watched Kaiba episode 1 and it was very good.

D.T. 提到...

Haha, not really. It's just that envisioning Tawian from Binghamton projects all sorts of stark contrasts into my mind, that the two locales seem mutually alien.

I hope Kaiba really nailed your tastes, the series just gets darker and darker without end =0=